Monday, May 3, 2021

Funny How You Learn Things...


 I ran across this picture last month. I'm the first to admit that I don't understand all things, especially things on the internet. This happens a lot because of my age. I guess I'm not "hip" enough to understand all the hidden messages--it's because I don't spend a lot of time checking out the latest things.

This picture showed up. I screenshot it and sent it to my friend (unfortunately, I do not know where I saw it originally...). I saw a dinosaur and a creche--two things you would not normally associate together. It wasn't until I took another look at the screen shot, I learned something knew.

I had no idea what the Miskatonic University is.

I'm learning more about it now.

I am a fan of H.P. Lovecraft. I've read some of his stories and even wrote a short story that was published in an awesome anthology called, Redneck Eldritch. You can order it by clicking: HERE. Many of my writer friends know volumes more about Lovecraft so I'll be they knew about the Miskatonic University. 

From Wikipedia (because the other sites about the university are more examples of self-promotion...):

Miskatonic University is a fictional university located in Arkham, a fictional town in Essex County, Massachusetts. It is named after the Miskatonic River (also fictional). After first appearing in H.P. Lovecraft's 1922 story Herbert West--Reanimator , the school appeared in numerous Cthulu Mythos stories by Lovecraft and other writers. The story The Dunwich Horror implies that Miskatonic University is a highly prestigious university, on par with Harvard University, and that Harvard and Miskatonic are the two most popular schools for the children of the Massachusetts "Old Gentry". The university also appears in role-playing games and board games based on the mythos.

I love how I came upon this information. And thanks to the internet, I was able to find this information immediately. Funny how you learn things.

No comments:

Post a Comment