Tuesday, May 11, 2021

Teaching A Not So Old Dog...A New Trick


 Dogs are smart...

Not with all things, but with some things. Case in point, after I've put in my ten hours at work I will venture outside to retrieve the mail. And our dog has taken notice. He watches me as I get up to go out the front door and he waits. Then, when I come in, he knows what I have in my hand...he knows that if there is something in my hand, there's a good chance, he'll get to rip it apart.

Our dog has learned when the mail arrives.

I'll come in--he zeros in on the mail. He'll follow me into the front room where he waits. I'll look at the mail, the bills, the coupons, then the ads. It's the ads he wants. Sometimes, we'll want to keep an ad so we have to tell him he can't have that particular piece of mail. 

Still, he waits.

Patiently, he'll sit looking at us look at the mail, hoping the oil change notice or the latest cell phone or satellite offer will eventually be his to destroy. I don't have to tell you, he had a great time during the last months of the election.

As long as we keep getting shiny mail--and we have the dog--he'll be waiting to see if anything came for him.



No comments:

Post a Comment