Wednesday, October 12, 2022

I've Known (Of...) This Bus For Decades


 I've got a side gig. I work weekend evenings at our local amusement park, Lagoon. Perhaps you've heard of it. Deep inside the park, among the rides and terraces and people having fun, you'll find a Volkswagen bus. It sits next to the water park and one of their smaller roller coasters.

And it's beautiful.

I've known of this particular bus for decades. Not that I'm stalking it, mind you. It's just, when you see a classic VW over and over, you pay attention...at least, I do.

The first time I saw this bus was at the park. Years ago there was a show at the park that included the bus. It pulled up and singers/dancers exited and put on a show. I think that's how the show started. If anyone remembers that particular show and I'm incorrect, I apologize...it's been a long time.

Because I lived in the same town as the amusement park, I drove by the park several times a week. The park owns fields that surround the property, you know, for future expansion. They parked that bus in the field and that's where it sat, sat for years. I kept wondering if they would sell it to me--I had no idea if it even ran. I never talk to the park or pursued it in any way because I didn't have the money to buy it. Still, it was a fun fantasy.

Then, the park decided to put the bus near the entrance of their newest coaster (this was years ago...). I knew then, my opportunity to own the classic German-made vehicle was officially over. It was now once again part of the park's attractions. Last weekend I carpooled with my daughter who also has a side gig at Lagoon. Her call time was earlier than mine, so I decided to walk around the park and let the memories come back to me.

That's when I came upon the bus. I just had to snap a picture or two. Yes, the fantasy of somehow obtaining the bus from the park is long over. But, I can still admire it from afar.

No comments:

Post a Comment