Tuesday, October 4, 2022

The Cost Of Doing Take-Out...


 Two weeks ago I found myself in downtown Salt Lake City. I also found myself in need of food. About two blocks away was a hamburger joint that I really like. I thought I might as well get lunch there because I'm not in SLC very much anymore.

I arrived at the restaurant, took out my wallet, glanced at the menu on the wall...

And my jaw hit the floor.

Now, I understand millions of people pay a lot more for stuff than I do. Because of where I live the cost of living is relatively low. Years ago I remember a co-worker went to New York City. We asked about his trip after he returned and he told us what a great experience it was...except for the food prices, especially in restaurants. He said it cost around $20 for lunch for each person. That surprised me, but I understood that living in one of the biggest cities in the world would cost more than it did in Utah. That was almost two decades ago.

When we moved from a suburb of Salt Lake City a few years back, we moved into a bubble. Yes, all things cost more than they used to, but I can't imagine going into a local eatery for a burger and being asked to pay $8.29 plus tax.

We all know inflation affects literally everything having to do with commerce. And we know that employers must pass on the rising costs of food and labor, rent and insurance in order to stay in business. I guess I suffered culture shock going back to a place I thought I knew.

Such is the rising cost of take-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment