Monday, October 24, 2022

Still Appreciating My Son's Art...


 Years ago, my son and I worked at Lagoon's Frightmares. We were assigned to the Hackenslash show as house managers--basically, our job was to set-up the stage pre-show, make sure crazies didn't rush the stage, and get the stage ready for the next show or shut it down for the night. It was a good job, as jobs go. Not too stressful, and working with the talent was a lot of fun.

We also had down times. After our work was done, in between shows we'd either watch the stage or chill with the performers. I usually watched the stage. My son usually chilled with the performers. He also brought a sketch book with him and he drew each of the Hackenslash characters. The troupe was so impressed, they used his artwork and ordered hoodies for cast and crew.

They were a hit.

That was at least six years ago.

This past weekend, the stage manager of the show I'm in was wearing his hoodie from that season. I asked to snap a picture to show my son that people still wear his artwork and proudly so. A few years ago the current Hackenslash performers at the time asked me if my son still had the computer files--they wanted to make hoodies for their group as well.

That's what strange about art. I can affect people at the time, or years, decades, centuries, even millennia later. No way these hoodies last that long, but it did this proud papa's heart good to see something my son made still being appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment