Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Gibson RD Artist Bass, Absolutely Beautiful!


The Gibson RD Artist Bass

Back in high school I began playing the bass guitar. I actually traded my accordion for my first bass and I ended up trading that bassfor a classical guitar (which is in its case in the basement--another basement treasure...). My mom took me to Guitar City in Centerville where I found the RD Artist Bass.


Us older musicians along the Wasatch Front remember exactly where Guitar City was, off Parrish Lane and west of I-15. I loved that store--the guitars and drum sets they had inside that smallish shop were incredible. It was there I found this huge, solid Gibson bass and we bought it for $500.00.


In high school I played in a band (didn't we all?). My friends and band mates had access to a recording studio (I still have a difficult time realizing just how lucky we were...) and we recorded several songs. My bass-paying career never panned out, but I had good times, and I kept the guitar. I know the bass player for the band A flock of Seagulls played the RD, as did a few others. It's an unusually-shaped guitar and there are many aspects that make this guitar especially cool, like the mother-of-pearl inlay designs.


I know many people think the most beautiful musical instrument in the world is a Steinway grand piano, a piano so black you can see your reflection from any angle. But for me, I'll take a nice Gibson, or Fender guitar any day... After all, both could kill you if they were dropped on your head.

2 comments:

  1. Wow man, I'd like to see it in person. It looks pretty solid and mint. It being a Gibson, I bet it's worth a lot more than $500 now. We should try and jam one of these days. Thanks for sharing man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to play the bass once. I decided that if I were to be a musician, I would play the bass guitar. Fun stuff you have in storage! My storage is far more boring!

    ReplyDelete