Monday, April 15, 2013

A Diversion From Reality...


Due to the horrific news from Boston today, I wanted to focus on something completely different...a diversion from reality, an iPhone app called The Simpson's Tapped Out.


A few months ago I ran across this little game--a free game, mind you--and I thought I'd give it a try. This follows a new trend in smart phone and tablet games--they give you the base game for free, but if you want to buy extra levels or accelerate your game-playing experience, you can pony up real money for virtual fun.

 

The object is simple, tap on the characters, follow instructions, build up experience points and money, collect doughnuts, which in Homer's world, can be used as currency. It's mindless, I know, but I've enjoyed my time building my imaginary society.


Every couple of months, there's a different theme. I started playing back when Halloween was the theme. Now, it's snake-whacking time. 


Today I was able to harvest my crop of corn after waiting 90 days to do so. It's almost like living on a real farm! Ha...no it isn't.

 

But, when the harvest came in I had the means to build Burns Manor...Excellent! In 24 hours, it will be mine.


I don't know how long I'll play the little game, but I've not spent one penny on it and I'm glad about that. Of course, my time is worth something...

No comments:

Post a Comment