Saturday, September 14, 2013

A Reference, And Then Some...


I saw the posted job and I almost couldn't believe it--the job description read like my resume. It was almost too perfect, too good to be true. And, in the end, that's exactly what happened.

I have a neighbor and we've chatted several times about this and that. More than once he's asked if he could help me with anything. After reading about the posting, I asked him if he would be a reference for me. I wasn't sure--he's a very busy person, a very important person in the community and I wasn't sure if he did things like that. I would completely understand if he declined.

I sent the e-mail and he agreed. I was very excited. I was sure they would call to set up an interview time.

I waited, and then I waited and I didn't hear anything. There was a holiday after I applied and I took a couple of days off, but I wasn't too worried. After all, I was more than qualified for the job, and I'm not being boastful. Even the part-time gig I've been doing this last summer videoing and photographing events was one of the job duties. They had to call.

Yesterday I checked the status of the job and it was filled. I don't mind (as much...) not getting a job. I've learned from experience that there are much more qualified people out there, and that there are lesser qualified people who know the right people to get the job. What bugged me was no interview. 

I e-mailed my friend telling him that he wouldn't be needed as a reference and he wrote back with a great compliment. It made my day. He didn't have to be a reference to begin with, and he didn't have to write back. Not getting the interview stung a little. Hearing back from my friend more than made up for it.

2 comments:

  1. Bitter sweet story.
    It's nice to know you have good friends to support you though.
    And about the job, they may have already had someone to fill it, but some companies have a policy about having to post the position. I can't help but think that's what happened here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, agreed with ESN. Likely the job was already filled but they had to post it by law (if the state).

    ReplyDelete