Friday, September 20, 2013

"So...You Going To Watch The Game?"


The conversation went something like this.

"You going to watch the game tomorrow?"

"No," I said. "Probably not. You?"

"Maybe," said the co-worker, someone with a huge U of U flag draped over one wall of his cubicle. "Probably."

"I know," I said. "I'll probably record it and watch it if the Utes win. If not, I'll just delete it if they lose."

We continued talking.

"I used to watch every game, every Utah Jazz game, every U of U football and basketball game, but not anymore. I'll watch a Jazz game here and there. And I've started to watch some of the U basketball games again. I think they're on the way back."

"You don't want to watch the games?"

"I do like watching them, but I hate the way they affect me. They drive me crazy and I can't sleep sometimes, so I just turn it off--it works for me."

There was a pause, then I continued. "What I would love is to be able to watch a U of U game and if the Utes play hard and did everything they could and a better team beat them, I'd love to be able to stand and clap and be at peace with the whole thing--glad I just watched an entertaining game."

"Wow...that's like being in a transcendental state," he said. "That's like achieving football zen."

"You're right," I said. "You're right."

No comments:

Post a Comment