Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Call...A Short Story




Time For A Short Story

Just look at these two pictures. They're sweet! Now, what kind of a story can I come up with using 500 words and these two cute pictures?

And if you'd like to join me in my quest to write an engaging short story, here are the rules:

1) Use both photos in your story.
2) Keep your word count 500 or less.
3) You have until next Tuesday night to link up your post.
4) Use the Blue Link to add your story at: Leanne's, Debb's, or Tena's websites.
5) Have fun, don't stress, and let those creative juices flow!

So, let's have some stress-free creative fun!

The Call

The coffee Dan ordered grew cold as he sat at the deli catching up on several e-mails on his phone in preparation of his upcoming day. No rest for the wicked, the twenty-eight year-old corporate lawyer liked to say. 

The call came in and he almost ignored it. He didn't recognize the number, but he decided to answer it because the area code originated from when he attended law school.

"This is Dan," he spoke into his Bluetooth headset as he quickly returned to his mail app after getting the call.

"Mr. Sparks? Dan Sparks?

"This is Dan Sparks," he said as a mild wave of panic washed over him. He didn't recognize the voice, but he knew this was not an ordinary call, not a sales call, not a client's call or a friendly call. This woman, whoever she was, was all business. "Who may I say is calling?"

"I'm Trisha Bradshaw from Arizona Family Services."

She paused, maybe for effect, maybe not. Maybe she wanted him to respond, to say something.

"And what can I do for you, Ms. Bradshaw?" Dan said, his mind racing to find a reason for this woman to be calling him on his cell phone.

"Mr. Sparks. I don't have a lot of time. I have some news for you that may be hard for you to hear. Do you remember Janice Munk?"

Did he remember? That name was forever burned into the living fibers of his heart. The only girl he'd really ever loved, who he had broke their engagement--how could he ever forget her? "Um..." he stammered. "Yes, of course. What exactly is the reason for this call, Ms. Bradshaw?"

"I'm calling to notify you that Janice Munk passed away two days ago."

Dan almost dropped the phone, him having long ignored those previously so important e-mails. "I'm...ah, I'm sorry to hear that." He wanted to say more, but all thoughts in his mind vanished--all thoughts, that is, except one: why would an employee of the Arizona Family Services need to call him with this information.

"I'm sorry you had to hear this from me, but it's important you know. I have other news that may be even more difficult for you to hear.

More difficult? This woman can't be serious. "And what might that be?"

"Mr. Sparks, before Janice passed away..."

"Excuse me, can I ask from what?"

"Certainly, she died after being struck by a car while bicycling."

Dan couldn't speak. The thought of that amazing, beautiful woman no longer alive began to rip his already pained heart in two. The news also brought back years of guilt he had tried to bury.

"Mr. Sparks, I apologize but I need to continue."

"Yes, please. Go ahead."

"I need to tell you that Janice leaves behind a four-year old daughter, your daughter, Mr. Sparks."

"But, she said she didn't have it," Dan almost whispered. 

"Apparently, she did. You're a father."

"A father," Dan said and he began to cry.

Word Count: 500

3 comments:

  1. That brought tears to my eyes as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally! I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out when I started. Sometimes they're like that. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Whoa! That's intense, Scott! Talk about a cliff hanger! Well done!

    ReplyDelete