Sunday, July 6, 2014

Things I Know...A Short Story


20140622_112634

Time To Write Again!

It's been a few weeks since I've done the old writing challenge. I just attended a writing conference this weekend--I actually attended two cons--and there's one thing that I find consistent when I go to conventions. It makes me want to write more.

And so, I look at the above photo and the five words we're to use in our flash fiction story, and we'll see what happens. If you'd like to participate, here are the rules:

1) Use the phone and the five mandatory words in your story.
2) Keep your word count 500 or less.
3) You have until next Tuesday night to link up your post.
4) Add your story (Blue Link) at Leanne's, Debb's, or Tena's websites.
5) Have fun, don't stress, let those creative juices flow!

Mandatory Words:

Caffeine
Reindeer
Press
Pig
Barber

Interesting picture, engaging words--should be fun!

Things I Know

I hate to fly. There, I've said it. Then again, saying it doesn't make anything better, especially when you get a new job that requires at least one business trip traveling cross-country per month.

Great...just great.

I know, I know. I've read the books, I follow the press releases, I've studies the statistics--I know the facts! I know I'm safer in a plane in the air than in my own car driving to the airport. 

Of course, there's other things I know. I know that reindeer are the only type of deer where both genders have antlers. I know that crime-scene investigators will use a pig to simulate the effects of trauma on a human body. I also know the difference between a good barber and a bad barber is about three weeks.

However, none of these things help me when I enter that tunnel that connects the stability of the earth to a machine designed and built to cheat the law of gravity. None of the useless bits of trivia currently trapped inside my cranium provides comfort as the sit myself among other passengers that have perhaps been marked for death as the great randomizer known as chance may come into play. I feel no assistance from years of reading books or watching The Natural Geographic Channel on TV when the flight attendances, after making sure everyone is in their seat all buckled up, seal the door shut, trapping us like convicts in a jail.

And don't even get me started on the feeling of dread that washes over me when the plane slowly taxis to the runway and the massive jets power up, the fuselage shaking at the incredible thrust being forced upon this vehicle that will rocket us into the sky.

It's a good thing they have beverages on board which contain elements slightly stronger than caffeine

Word Count: 314

No comments:

Post a Comment