Friday, March 20, 2015

Having The Courage To Dream...


I think everyone who has ever thought about being a writer, or a painter, or a dancer, singer, photographer, sculptor, magician (mime...), have wondered what it would be like to do it full-time. I learned quickly when I first began attending writing conferences and symposiums that there's a difference between someone who creates art part-time and those who can do it as a full-time gig.

Those that can are revered, honored, even sometimes worshiped.

Because it's tough.

Being a full-time writer, painter, dancer, singer, photographer, sculptor, magician, and even mime is tough. If it weren't, everyone would do it. At least, I think so. I know I would. If I could feed, shelter and clothe my family by writing full-time, I would do it in a heartbeat.

That's why I have so much respect for a fellow writer, Aly Grauer. I've written about Aly before. A few weeks ago her father began cancer treatment and this week she announced on her blog that she quit her day job. 

Alyson Grauer

She's going to be a full-time writer. Comments from many friends offered support on her blog (me included...). Some even said they wished they could do the same. I hope she finds success. I've read some of her stuff--it's good! She can definitely write. She released a novel last fall (you can pick it up: HERE) and even though it's not burning up the Amazon charts, she's not letting that stop her from her dream.

So, here's to Aly! May all your sentences make sense and your submissions be picked up! Good luck! Oh, and happy birthday, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment