Tuesday, February 16, 2016

An Oldie...But A Goodie


On Sunday I found an old LDS Hymnal. It was stored in an unused section of the church. I have fond memories of these hymnals. Growing up a bored child (or parent...) could take a piece of paper and a pencil and make an imprint of the famous Mormon Tabernacle Pipe Organ. The new hymnals have the same imprint, but it's not as pronounced. 

There's also another thing that this old hymnal has that is missing in the new one. Contained inside is one of my favorite songs, Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing. This hymnal was replaced in 1985 so these particular editions are a little hard to find.


This particular song is one of those songs that can reach into your soul in a way few can, at least, it does for me. It's such a beautiful song and a kick to sing. Then, thanks to Mack Wilberg, it's become very popular, especially in my neck of the woods.

I haven't done a lot of research about this, but I heard that this song was not added to the 1985 hymnal because it was not well known. I'm sure that was true at the time. But the same cannot be said of the song today. Yes, we no longer use this particular edition in our Sunday worship, and sometimes I wish we would--at least, for one song and to make interesting graphite art  when I'm bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment