Friday, February 12, 2016

Watching Others Play Video Games...Not Really A New Thing


The other day I passed the TV int he living room. My children were not watching movies or cartoons. They weren't watching Netflix or YouTube.

They were watching a show where someone plays a video game and another person comments on it.

Yes...apparently it's a thing.

And a BIG thing!


I know, as a parent, much of what our teenage and younger children do is strange and unusual. And I thought the same about this, but then I started thinking about what I was doing when I was there age. When I was born, video games had not yet been invented. I was a pre-Pong baby. And I'm okay with that. I got to experience the wonder and pure joy of Pong, Asteroids, Space Invaders and pretty much anything Atari put out. It was an amazing time to live.


There were TV game consoles, of course, but the big draw were the arcades and anywhere those huge video games were housed, be they the gas station or even a grocery store. For us, we would head down to the Farmington A/G or later, Woody's and we'd play video games.

But, what we also did, was watch others play and comment on their game. Fast forward three, almost four decades and our kids are doing the same thing. I guess the more things change, the more things change the same.

Just with better graphics.

No comments:

Post a Comment