Friday, February 5, 2016

Being Kind...


I work with a guy named Steve. I've mentioned him a few times on this blog. We're not just co-workers, but also friends. And as friends do, we often chat on breaks or when we go outside to take in some fresh air.

Steve is also a single father. I  don't know what it is, but when a married person talks to a single person, inevitably the topic of, "hey, I know someone you should ask out," comes up. Why (as married people...) do we do this? I don't know; we just do. A few weeks ago we were talking about someone I thought he should ask out. I remember telling him that I thought whoever it was we were discussing was a nice girl.

Then Steve said something I don't know if I'll ever forget. He said, "Nice is good, but I'd rather be with someone who is kind. I don't think a lot of people called Jesus 'nice.' Being kind is better."

Those may not have been his exact words, but that was the gist. I've thought about what he said a lot since then.


Earlier this week Steve (that's him in the blue shirt...) and I walked a few blocks to a local grocery store. I had to buy some rolls for a brunch my department was having at work. When we walk to the store we pass a spot where homeless guys will spend the night and because it's winter, they built these very primitive shelters. We went to the store. I bought rolls and Steve bought a chicken wrap. It was early in the morning, but Steve is famous for eating his lunch before 10am. Him getting a sandwich for his pre-lunch meal was not unusual.

So when, as we walked back to work, Steve took that chicken wrap and gave it to the homeless guy living under his cardboard tent, it should not have surprised me. For Steve is kind. So, all of you married people trying to line up their single girlfriends, if they're looking for someone who is kind, I know someone who fits that bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment