Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Captain...I Know How You Feel


 Last night, I did a little channel surfing as I wrote my blog. And what should appear on my screen? A classic scene from movie history.

KAHN!!!

It's easy to forget just how amazing Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn was. The first Star Trek film, if I recall correctly, was not well received. It was visually stunning, but the story--especially by today's standards--was just okay. They had a lot riding on the second film. Fortunately, for them, they hit it out of the park. They went back to their roots, story continuation from an original Star Trek episode. The next episode, like the first, wasn't as good (these are all my opinions, by the way...), but the fourth was epic.

Genius Star Trek.

The success of the films generated a number of new TV series, and additional movies. If Kahn had failed, it might have all ended there.

Who knew Shatner's clenched teeth and scream saved the series? I'll bet Shatner did.

The look from the scene is iconic. It represents more than a man fighting his enemy--it's a visual representation of the wars we all face as we navigate this crazy ride through space. Basically, we've all been there. We've all been Kirk (without all the alien womanizing and killing, of course...). We've all fought Kahn. We've all got our own Kobayashi Maru.

Pray we'll be as successful as the Captain.

Without having to cheat, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment