Wednesday, October 7, 2020

"The Leader"...Reminding Me Of What Once Was


 There's so much of Tremonton that reminds me of where we used to live, where we moved from, only...from a town from twenty or so years ago.

It's quite amazing, and even a little bit spooky.

Last week we had to pick up some mail so we ventured out to visit the local post office. The resemblance was uncanny--I swear, it even smelled like Farmington's. But, what really hit home was when I picked up a copy of Tremonton's local paper, The Leader. It was like going back in time.

Farmington didn't have a local paper, per se, but we did have the Davis County Clipper. I even wrote for the paper on several occasions. When I read the headlines of The Leader, it was small-town. It had news about local people, local sports, and even obituaries of those living in this small town. The Davis County Clipper was like that, too. And, I'll bet, both papers have undergone a metamorphosis over the past decade or so. I'm sure The Leader used to be bigger, used to be one of the only places that had classifieds, or that you could get details of the latest city council meeting (if you weren't lucky enough to be there in person...). 

Point is, I've seen the Davis County Clipper go from a somewhat decent-sized publication to what it is today...only a few pages in length. When I saw The Leader, unfortunately, I saw the same thing...something that used to be bigger.

We're planning on subscribing to The Leader. It costs like $60 a year. That's something from the past, too. Even though we could probably get the same news after a few internet searches, there's something that connects a reader to a newspaper. It's tangible, real. I have the advantage (or disadvantage...) of seeing Farmington change, grow, evolve. If we stick around Tremonton long enough, I'm sure I'm going to see the same thing happen here. It's not necessarily a bad thing...it just is.

And The Leader reminded me of how things used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment