Tuesday, October 6, 2020

The Man...Is Back


Browsing  through Twitter the other day (an activity I would not recommend, especially during election season--or, any season, for that matter...), I happened upon a singular tweet that caught my attention.

The Tobolowsky Files are back.

I've blogged about this particular podcast before. Of course, it was years ago, when Stephen Tobolowsky's stories were being broadcast. Then, like a meteor shower, it ended and you're not sure when the next one will streak across the night sky. It might be any minute, or it might be in a couple of weeks or months. But, when you don't see one for years, you wonder if they've stopped for good.

I'm still a podcast guy, but I listen to far fewer than I once did. Plus, I've weened myself from listening to every single episode of my favorites, especially if they're long. I was spending hours upon hours every week making sure I didn't miss a single show. Maybe it's my age--approaching mid-50s--but I just don't care enough to hear hundreds of podcasts anymore.

Stephen's podcast returned after a three-year hiatus. He's put out two episodes so far and he's promised more in the future. If you've never heard The Tobolowsky Files, it's your basic humorous storytelling format. As I've listened to these first two episodes, I've wondered why I enjoy the podcast so much. I think having it gone for years makes me see things better. Stephen discusses his childhood in such a way that it makes me remember mine and I wish I could recall the details of my childhood with such clarity.

Also, Mr Tobolowsky is an actor, and a very successful one at that. I've dabbled in the art of performing myself, but coming nowhere near his level of success. But, hearing his stories, listening to his experiences, I understand some of the thoughts and feelings he's been though because, in some small way, I've had those, too.

Then, there's the humor. The guy's funny, and if there's ever a time we need funny, it's now.

Having created a podcast years ago, I know the amount of work that goes into such an endeavor. I'm glad there are people out there who want to make things better for others, want to share their experiences, want to have a little fun.

I've recommended this podcast before and I'm doing it again. Give it a try--if it's not your cup of tea, no worries. Not all things are for all people, which makes life interesting. This time, when I listen, I hope I appreciate it more...you never know when the lights will stop again from streaking across the night sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment