Thursday, October 22, 2020

Missing My Friends Tonight...


 As far as covid totally disrupting our life, we've been pretty much unaffected. I telecommuted for a year before this hit and we've homeschooled for twenty years. Plus, we don't go to see many movies in theaters--average about one a year--and we don't do vacations.

Yup--the virus didn't affect us very much at all.

I know how fortunate we've been. I know people have lost jobs, careers, and even loved ones to this terrible disease. I don't wish to make light of it, but for our family, a lot of things didn't change. Many people felt the virus's impact immediately. For me, it's hitting me hardest this time of year.

Because of covid, two of my favorite things were canceled--FanX Comics Convention, and doing the Séance show at Lagoon's Frightmares.

My daughter is still doing shows at Lagoon--her shows were not canceled, but Séance is a more intimate experience. And we crammed in as many people in that little room as possible. It added to the awesomeness of Séance. They just couldn't pull it off with all the restrictions.

FanX should have taken place last month--we were so busy getting ready to move and prepare for a wedding that I didn't have time to think about it, but now, things have slowed down. I watch my daughter get in her little car and drive to Lagoon on the weekend and I miss it. I miss the screams. I miss Stephen's creepiness, Lucy's scariness, Curtis's "everything under control"-ness, and my victim-choosing-ness. We make a great team, a team I'm missing today.

We all hope this terrible time will pass and we'll be able to gather together as convention guests, as "can't wait to the get crap scared out of me" victims. It's hard to imagine these things will be canceled next year, but it was hard to believe last March that we'd miss out on FanX, Séance, August U of U football among other things. 

And yet, here we are.

At least, this year, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment