Saturday, October 24, 2020

A Little Blogging Game I Play...Guess How Many Hits


 When I decided to join the blogging world, I was late to the game. I think the mid-2000s is when blogging hit its stride. Once everyone figured out that literally everyone could write a blog, it exploded and for many, the only people reading their blogs were possibly their mother and other close family members.

But, I started the blog not for fame or to one day be the subject of an Amy Adams - Meryl Streep movie like Julie Powell did in 2005. No, I just wanted to write something every day. And I have. And in a few months my blog'll be ten years old.

Because of the reason I write, getting lots of hits is not my priority. Each night, before I start the next post, I check the previous day's total. Because of how things are set up, the dashboard page shows ZERO hits. When I refresh the page, it gives me an accurate account of how well that particular post did.

I began a little game...Guest How Many Hits the Previous Day's Post Got.

It's not the best game, not exciting or anything. In fact, it's kind of lame, but I enjoy it. And, I must say, I've done pretty good with my guesses. I have hints, of course. If I get a lot of chatter about my post on Facebook, or especially on Twitter, I calculate how many hits the site got. If no one comments, likes, or shares, the number'll be low. Like it was for yesterday's post.

I can usually tell when a post will do well. I do my best work when I focus on others, bring out their good points, highlight their work and accomplishments. It's also safe to say some of my most popular--and meaningful--posts are when I'm honoring someone who has passed on. Maybe those do well because they're the most sincere. I really try and create a worthy tribute to them.

I have some idea of how this post will do--probably about as good as my post from yesterday. And that's okay because today, I wrote something, I blogged, and I gave something for my mother-in-law to read.

I hope everyone out there has had a wonderful day. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment