Thursday, October 1, 2020

Small Town...


 Publishing a blog post can be a strange thing sometimes. When I first began this little electronic journal, I wondered what people would like to read. Then, after a while, it became too much work trying to constantly figure out what others wanted to read--especially writing every day--so I ended up writing about things that interested me more than the public at large.

This isn't to say I'm not considering my audience when I write and post something. It's just in order to come up with stuff to write about every day, it's got to be something I want to write about.

Case in point, I'm going to write a lot about the recent move our family made, or in other words, I'm going to continue writing about this move, because I've already dedicated many a post to our decision.

Yesterday, as my wife and I headed to one of the two local hardware stores in town, I snapped a quick picture of the moon rising above the eastern mountains. It's not a great picture, as far as the composition is concerned, but for me it represents the small town where we now find ourselves. It's also the view from our front porch. The picture--the hamlet--remind me of a John Mellencap song, Small Town.

Well I was born in a small town
And I live in a small town
Probably die in a small town
Oh, those small communities

All my friends are so small town
My parents live in the same small town
My job is so small town
Provides little opportunity, hey

Educated in a small town
Taught to fear Jesus in a small town
Used to daydream in that small town
Another boring romantic that's me

But I've seen it all in a small town
Had myself a ball in a small town
Married an LA doll and
Brought her to this small town
Now she's small town just like me

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

Got nothing against the big town
Still hayseed enough to say
Look who's in the big town
But my bed is in a small town
Oh, and that's good enough for me

Well I was born in a small town
And I can breathe in a small town
Gonna die in this small town
And that's probably where they'll bury me

Now, the lyrics don't follow my journey exactly. I was born in Ogden and in 1965 it was a lot smaller than it is now, but even back then, I doubt anyone would call it a "small town" as indicated by the spirit of Mr. Mellencamp's song. Nor did I marry a LA doll, and all of my friends are not small town, many are medium to large town.

But, I feel I grew up in a small town and I'm beginning to feel many of the same things I remember Farmington to have been many years ago.

I know I'll be writing about this little community more and more as we begin to add our story to its story. I'm sorry if it's redundant, but it's where we live now. And soon, it'll become more and more a part of us as it comes to be our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment