Saturday, October 10, 2020

What We Can Learn...From A 17 Lb Brisket


 In the middle of a grocery store on a Saturday morning is a weird place to have an epiphany.

Or is it...?

This morning, after an incredibly busy and wonderful evening last night. we needed to do some grocery shopping. We were in kind of a daze, just picking up a few things for the next couple of days. While we waited for the helpful girls to complete our delicatessen order (I swear, workers in Box Elder County are some of the nicest people I've ever met...), I meandered over the the meat section, where I spotted briskets.

I'm no brisket experts, so I have no idea if 15 - 20 pound pieces of meat are ordinary, or large. To me they looked enormous. And, if we were in the market for brisket, we'd be in luck--they were half off with a store card (which, we have...). Since I don't know if they were large, or even good priced, I'm unsure just how amazing the scene before me actually was.

Then I got to thinking...that display was amazing. In fact, the entire store is amazing. I know it's somewhat cliched to say how blessed those of us are who live in America. When I lived in Europe thirty-five years ago, it was a developed county, but I never entered a store like the one my wife and I were in today. Thousands of different things, multiple choices of every selection, and prices unequal to the amount of work I had to do to buy them.

Growing up, we would see pictures and movies of those less fortunate. Back then, it was more of the world than it is today. How easily I forget that others aren't as fortunate as those of us living in this country. I don't know why, but looking at that insanely large chunk of beef brought me back into that frame of mind.

Then, as it seems to go, I remember that there are literally hundreds of such stores in my state alone, some smaller, but many much bigger. I don't know if the other stores have 17 lb briskets (since I'm no brisket expert...), but my guess they'll have something like it.

No, after a day of preparing for, then experiencing the union of my oldest to his bride, I didn't expect to be humbled by a piece of meat. I hope, once again, I can remember this lesson and be more appreciative, more selfless, more giving in the future...

At least, until the next time something throws me back to reality.

I wonder what will do it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment