Friday, October 16, 2020

It's Not So Much About What I Think Of Them...But What Do They Think Of Me?


 We don't watch a lot of network TV. There's many reasons for that, but during election season, there's an especially huge reason to not go there.

Election ads.

I am so so so so so so so sick of them, and I've really only been inundated by one race, a race outside of my district, a race where I cannot vote for either candidate.

The incumbent Ben MacAdams, and the challenger Burgess Owens.

I don't know if their campaigns spend money on other time slots, but between 6pm and 7pm during Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy, they are spending money like it's water. Every commercial break there's guaranteed, at least one attack ad from both candidates, and many times, there'll be multiple ads at each break from one or both. 

Things I didn't know about Burgess Owens: He's bad with his own money--many bankruptcies. He also wants to start nuclear testing in the Nevada desert thus, killing scores of Utahns. He also wants to take away everyone's healthcare so when we do get cancer from the testing, we'll have to pay for it out of our own pockets. And, he's a republican.

Things I didn't know about Ben MacAdams: He's bad with other people's money--lots of government spending. He also apparently loves China and wants their human rights abuses to continue. And, he's no republican, but a liberal.

I know, I know, freedom of speech, and I have the freedom to not watch those shows. I also know a little bit about marketing.  Repetition helps to cement an idea into people's brains better. But, come on! After literally the thousandth time, I really don't know what difference it's making. I don't think many people will change their minds, but only make a person's opinion even stronger. Maybe they know something I don't. Then again, maybe they don't know something I do.

Thankfully, recording the show and fast-forwarding them on DVR helps. Can't watch anything live in this new world. I haven't even scratched the surface of all the terrible things these two men supposedly are and will do if elected/re-elected. I only highlighted two ads...there's dozens more.

The big question remains. It's not really a question of what I think of the candidates, but for me, after seeing these ads so much, the question seems to be morphing into what the campaigns think about the voter generally, and me specifically.

My conclusion...

They must think I'm an idiot.

No comments:

Post a Comment