Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Are "U" Ready For Some Football? Um...Yeah


 Back in March of this year, I don't think any of us understood how much things were going to change in 2020. They said "Two weeks to flatten the curve." That turned into nine months with really no end in sight.

As far as sports, covid changed everything. Immediately, they canceled the NCAA tournament and postponed both the NBA and NHL seasons. Surely though, it wouldn't affect college football, right.

Wrong.

But wait! They bring back NHL and NBA games. They play baseball and soccer. Surely, they can make sure college football won't get canceled, right?

Wrong...

Well, kind of wrong. Depends who you are and where you are.

For a University of Utah football fan, this fall has been brutal. One by one, conferences canceled seasons. I chalked up the non-season as another crappy part of the year. Then, a ray of hope pierced the clouds--conferences were changing their minds. They would play! Games would happen! Football was not dead! Right?

Wrong...

Well, kind of wrong. Depends on who you are and where you are.

Conferences begin scheduling games, hype builds. Other schools begin playing. It's tough, but okay, because eventually my Utah Utes will take the field to the delight of me and many others. Weeks go by, other teams play...Game Day draws near. But, then I hear of scheduled games that don't happen, games canceled due to positive covid tests. Oh no, I think. That won't/can't happen to the Utes, right?

Wrong.

Okay, game one canceled--that sucks, but it won't/can't happened twice in a row, right?

Wrong again.

At this point, I'm about to hang up my Utah hat for the rest of the year. Now Game Day is scheduled for this weekend, Utah vs. USC. Will it happen? No clue. I'm almost afraid to get my hopes up. Salt was poured into my wounds when I found out two California schools decided--on the fly--to play each other last Sunday because both of their opponents had their games canceled, one of those teams was Utah.

In no way am I implying these decisions to play/cancel are not important. My wish to watch is less important than the health and safety of the players, coaches, and personnel involved in these games. It's just been a pain as a fan to ride this roller coaster.

When we look back on this year, for me not watching a couple of games shouldn't be that biggest issue we remember. I'm hopeful they'll play this weekend. I'd love it f they could get a win. And if they do--and especially win--well...that'll be one of those good days.

No comments:

Post a Comment