Sunday, November 22, 2020

Give Thanks...Day 3--Sundays


 I am thankful for Sundays.

A day of rest.

Today is a great example. I spent the day at home with my family. Normally, I would attend church, but due to circumstances beyond our control, that's a little difficult right now. Thankfully, technology allows us to do the next best thing--attend virtually.

I remember my mother telling me something about my father. He designed, and was in the process of building, our house when he got sick and passed away. She told me, when it came time for us to help build our own house, that they never worked on the house on Sundays.

Since he started the house in 1970 and passed away in 1974, he could have worked an extra two-hundred days on the house...give or take. That's more than half a year. I'm confident in saying that with those days, the house would have been finished by they time he died, leaving his wife and three children under the age of 11 a home that would not need to be worked on later. He chose not to do that.

So did we.

In addition to not working on the house, I tried as best I could not to do any homework for both my degrees on Sundays. Admittedly, I didn't like doing homework any of the other days, either, but making that personal rule allowed me an excuse. 

The earth rotates one turn seven times in a week. To it, Sunday is just another rotation. It's us who give the day its meaning. I'm grateful for Sundays, a day unlike all the others...a day of rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment