Friday, November 20, 2020

#GiveThanks...Day 1--Family


It's amazing how two little, single-syllable words can make such a big difference.

Give Thanks

This morning the leader of my church delivered a message. It was sweet. It was succinct. It was needed. For the next seven days President Nelson challenged us to post only uplifting messages on social media and to use the hashtag GiveThanks with our posts. He suggested that at the end of those seven days, we would feel different (you can watch his message by clicking: HERE...).

I'm betting he's right.

Since I write a daily post, I'm going to consider--then write about--things of which I am thankful. I'm not placing them in any order of importance, only to have them included. To be honest, I could write everyday about things for which I am thankful--I could write every minute for the rest of my life and never run out of things to include.

Fifteen years ago, I wrote up a family Christmas letter and I included the above photo of the kids and our dog, Patch. It was taken in the winter (hence, the Christmas lights up on our porch...). I can't believe it's been that long. Several years later, we took a picture from the same vantage point. So much had changed between the two pictures, and so much has changed between then and now. The adorable dog is no longer with us, nor is that any longer our house. My eldest is married and has begun an adventure of his own, and, well...we're all older.

I can't imagine my life without these four. They made/make me a father, a provider, a teller of "dad jokes." The things the have taught me, the memories, the wisdom, the love, the trials and the triumphs...all part of the deal, a deal I wouldn't trade for all the money in the world.

Tonight, I give thanks for them. I pray I may be worthy of their love and respect. God is great to give me such an opportunity.



No comments:

Post a Comment