Saturday, November 21, 2020

Give Thanks...Day 2--Where I Live


 I grew up in an amazing time. My parent's generation lived during the Great Depression. I have cousins that were born before the WWI. I remember hearing my mother tell us of the time when she remembered  receiving electricity and running water in their Driggs, Idaho home.

I imagine, my kids and grandkids will talk about how their father/grandfather grew up during a time where there was no internet. I don't think growing up without running water in the house and being without the internet are the same thing, but maybe to some they are.

The point is, my parents were born in the United States of America. My kids and I were born here, too. I'm dedicating this week to things for which I am thankful. When it comes to places where one would like to be born, I feel I hit the jackpot. I know it's not a popular opinion for some, and I can respect that opinion. USA is by no means perfect, but to quote something I heard the other day, America may not be perfect, but the goal of the country is to become a more perfect union. 

In my fifty-four years, eleven months, and twenty-two days, I've been fed, clothed, sheltered. I've never felt unsafe. I've never felt unloved. Much of that is due to loving parents/friends who took upon themselves the responsibility to take care of those they loved. These facts astound me. Many people around the globe can say the same thing--we're not unique in this. I'm grateful to live in a land that gives people the opportunity to succeed, to thrive, to pursue their dreams. 

America is, and has always been, an experiment. It exists because the people living within its borders believe in this experiment. If they give up that dream, abandon its principles, the nation ceases to be. We are at a crossroads, a country experiencing an identity crisis. I am no fortune teller. I cannot predict how things will turn out. I do, however, have faith in the people of this country. They are, for the most part, good and wish to do good for themselves and others. This is my hope. This is my prayer. It is why I give thanks for the land in which I live, the land that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment