Saturday, November 28, 2020

I Really Don't Know Why I Like These Cars That Much...


 We were pulling out of the parking lot and I spotted it, a red Volkswagen Beetle, late 60s - early 70s (my ability to correctly identify VWs has diminished over the years...). We circled around, and I snapped a picture.

I really don't know why I like these cars so much.

I shouldn't. As far as cars go, there's not a lot to like. They're unreliable, at least all the bugs I've owned in my life, and since I haven't owned one in over twenty-five years, I highly doubt they've become more reliable in that time. They're small. They're definitely unsafe. There's no heater that works. And for many, they're about the ugliest car ever made.

Still...

I can't help it. I love them.

When I saw the bug, it took me back. In 1987 I bought a 1972 superbeetle--my second bug (I can't believe the car was only fifteen years old--my daughter drives a sixteen-year old car now...). The 1972 bug was orange and it had its issues. I paid $500 for it. That same car in that same condition would be worth probably $4k today. I hired my cousin to paint it for me. I've been told it drove him mad getting it painted. I'm glad he did it because it turned out beautiful, a deep cherry red.

When I saw the car in the parking lot, I wished I once again had a a bug. They're a kick to drive and they actually do quite well in the snow. But, talk about impractical. They're manual transmissions--a few automatics were built, but I haven't seen one of them on the road in decades. This means I'd be the only one in the family who could drive it. We moved to a somewhat colder climate so driving it would not be pleasant in the winters. It only seats four and there's no room to pack anything.

Like I said, totally impractical.

Still...

I think if I had the means, I'd still love to have one parked in our garage. Of course, I'd have to park it over something to collect all the oil dripping from the engine...don't want to dirty up a new garage floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment