Monday, November 2, 2020

You Know You Live In A Small Town...If Twitter Doesn't Recognize It


I noticed something the other day while posting my daily picture.

Apparently, Tremonton is not well known...

At least, to Twitter it isn't.

I don't mean to imply that Twitter is the fount of all knowledge. From my experience, knowledge is many times lacking with that particular social media platform. Every time on Twitter I type "TremontonUtah" (with or without the hashtag...), I get those evil little red dots signifying I have made an error.

Basically, I misspelled something.

I guess this town is just too small to be known to Twitter. The same thing didn't happen when I typed, "FarmingtonUtah." No little evil red dots of shame for that.

I did a little research. I wanted to see if Twitter thinks other small towns are misspelled as well. I'm sure there are some towns smaller than Tremonton that won't show up as misspelled. I tested my theory by typing in, "TombstoneAZ" (with and without the hashtag...). 

To Twitter, it was not misspelled.

According to the World Population Review website (worldpopulationreview.com), the population for Tombstone is 1284 in 2020. Of course, we'll have to wait for official 2020 census results to come in, but if you can't trust the World Population Review, who can you trust?

The same website shows the population for Tremonton Utah in 2020 as 9302. It's so much bigger than Tombstone--yes, Twitter still thinks it's a typo. I guess, without Wyatt Earp, a bloody gunfight, or several amazing kick-butt films made about you, you're just an ordinary town.

I'll keep posting pictures and writing blog posts originating from this charming little hamlet. Who knows? Maybe one day Twitter will acknowledge TremontonUtah as a real place. Many of us know what Twitter doesn't--it's a great little town.

No comments:

Post a Comment