Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Give Thanks...Day 5--Work


I've mentioned on this blog before that there's opposition in all things. It's one of the few absolutely sure things I know. There's good, there's bad. There's up, there's down. Sad, happy. Big, small.

So, what does opposition have to do with work?

Well, it depends on how you see it.

This week I've taken up the challenge to post things for which I am grateful. Many of my friends and thousands of others have done the same. Most have listed the obvious things, family, health, pets, church, lessons learned. When I think of these things, there is one thing that--for me--allows most of us to enjoy the incredible things found in this life. 


Work.

I have been blessed with work. Since high school, except for my mission and a few months here and there, I've been employed. I've had jobs I've absolutely loved, being a stuntman and part of the Seance crew at Lagoon were a few. I've had jobs I absolutely hated, Feature Films for Families was one of them. I'm thankful that for the past almost twenty-five years I've been working for the same organization. I had a couple promotions, been passed up for many others. It took me a long time to realize, work wasn't about the promotions--it was about doing my best and finding joy in the journey.

Work can suck, and it usually does...even the best jobs have sucky times. But I feel humans must work. As a species, if we don't work, we die. Although it's not as pronounced now for many, it's still true. I have many friends who have done well in their careers. They post pictures on social media (or, they used to before this year...) of amazing places they've visited, amazing memories they've created with their families and loved ones. A major reason for this is because they work hard.

When I thought of seven things to write about this week, work wasn't one of them. But, when the idea hit me, it made more and more sense. Yes, I am grateful for work, because there is opposition in all things, work that sometimes sucks can result in good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment