Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Saying Goodbye...It's The Hardest Thing


 Years ago I happened upon a little British show called Top Gear. There were several things that drew me to the show. Of course, the cars, but they also had excellent cinematography. If you doubt me, check out the years between 2004 and afterwards (I'm sure the episodes preceding 2004 are excellent as well, but I found the show a few years later...). Even my wife loved watching--and she's not necessarily a car person.

All those things help add to the show, but the genius behind the show's success is because of three people...Jeremy, Richard, and James. I know in the history of comedic teams, duets flourish, but on Top Gear, it's the trio.

The boys were fired in 2015 and created another show on Prime TV. They called it Grand Tour. They tried to follow the previous show's format, but eventually it devolved into a season of epic adventures across the world, and next month...apparently...it all ends.

Bummer.

To say they'll be missed is an understatement, at least for me. The chemistry between the hosts is almost impossible to duplicate. We've known them for decades, at least their TV personas. I know there's no way we actually know them, but they connect on on such a personal level, they seem like they'd be a blast to chill out with.

Those of you who enjoy and watch the show know exactly what I'm talking about. BBC struck gold when they assembled this amazing team.

Seriously, it's time. Nothing last forever. After more than two decades they are closing the book on this chapter of their lives. Yes, I'm sad, but also happy they are able to pursue other ventures. It's rare when people create such art disguised as entertainment. God speed, boys. You done well.

No comments:

Post a Comment