Sunday, September 1, 2024

Give Thanks...For Choral Music


 This morning I did a little channel surfing and I came upon the weekly broadcast of the Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square. They're kind of famous, and I've known about them all my life. That happens growing up in Utah.

The first time I joined a choir was my senior year of high school. I didn't sing in jr. high school because I was in the band. In high school I left my baritone behind and went music-less for three years. My senior year I got involved, ran track, took drama, and choir. I had a great year. I loved choir.

Fast forward a few years and I'm sitting in an econ class when my friend from high school sat next to me before the first class began. He said he wasn't in the class, but he needed to transfer because he got into an a'cappella choir that was going to England next spring. I asked if they needed more singers. He said they might. That day I went to the choir class and auditioned. I made the grade. 


I was in that choir class for four years. I loved choir.

In fact, it changed my life.

Fast forward a few decades. Since college, I've done plays and was even in a choir or two. I've always loved singing, even to this day...even if my voice is not what it once was. Now, I have several friends in The Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square, the state's (and one of the country's...) top choirs. I'm too old to realistically join, even though I wonder what it would be like to be a member. The reason I'd love to join even now is because I know how much fun it is to sing with others as well as being with good, talented people. Their music is beautiful. The experience, I'm sure, is even better.

I'm thankful for choral music, even though I was late to the party. I'm thankful for the music, for the art. There's a spirit singing conjures (for good or bad...), a synergy. There's nothing quite like it. Sing on, my brothers and sisters...sing on.

No comments:

Post a Comment