Sunday, January 30, 2022

Give Thanks...The View From A Hill


 Yesterday, my wife and I got in the car and drove north, then east, then northeast. When we stopped the car the temperature outside read -3˚ and we found ourselves in Bern, Idaho. Everything we saw, the mountain ridges, the valley, was completely covered with a blanket of white. Yes, the sun was shining, but it wasn't warm enough to melt anything. 

We got out of the car and entered the church. Two hours later, we left the church and drove to the Bern Cemetery. Even though it warmed up significantly, it still hurt to deeply inhale, but all those issues faded away by simply looking east.

It was spectacular.

Of course, I would rather have not have had to be there, nor would anyone else who made the trip. Such is the way of things.

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say cemeteries fascinate me...not to the point of stopping and checking out a random cemetery when I'm driving by. The cemetery in Bern is located on a western-facing hillside. It's long and thin and the road encircles the gravesites. And the view to the east is amazing. I'm grateful for the dedicated pioneers that settled the valley and those who remain. I'm grateful they chose a beautiful place for a cemetery, and I'm grateful to be able to gather with family and friends to honor a wonderful soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment