Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Had A Caption For This...Then Changed My Mind


 I spotted the cover of People Magazine in our local grocery store yesterday, and a quote came to mind. It's from the movie, Major League. "Just a bit outside." I snapped a picture and thought about posting it for my Pic Of The Day with the snarky caption highlighting the fact that Betty White did, in fact, not reach her one-hundredth birthday.

When it came time to choose a picture, I changed my mind.

Yesterday was a holiday and I didn't spend the day on a computer so I didn't realize it was Betty White's birthday and she would have turned one-hundred had she not passed away on New Years Eve. At first when I saw the magazine cover, I thought it was a misprint or that the magazine goofed. Then I thought they ran with the story--a story they were going to publish anyway--because it was written and ready to go.

When it was time to choose a picture, I decided not to use it. After all, using it as a punch line for a not-so-funny joke would be in bad taste. Like pretty much everyone I was sad to hear of her passing, but glad she had lived such a long and amazing life. Using that picture would be insensitive (even if only a few people would actually see it...). 

When I thought about it, it made sense that People went forward with the article and cover. After all, she was born one-hundred years ago yesterday, even if she didn't quite make the anniversary in person. It is a recognition of a long life well lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment