Tuesday, January 11, 2022

One Of The Perks...Of Writing


 It's been almost ten years since I started writing, or more specifically, it's been almost ten years since I started to take the craft of writing seriously. It's been an incredible experience. There's some things I think I expected, as far as what it's like to be a writer, but there's other things that I've experienced that I had no idea would happen.

Case in point...seeing my friends's books in bookstores and libraries.

It's wonderful.

I should begin by saying that getting to know writers has been an adventure as well. As we grow up, we get to know different publics. Depending on where you work, there's a culture within a particular group--it has its own identity. Sometimes, those cultures are not very welcoming. I've done community theater for years. For the most part, the people involved in that industry are the best, but it can be cliquish at times. I've also been involved in the film industry (to a much lesser extent...). I witness some exclusion in that industry as well.

But, writers. They're a different breed. It's rare when you come across a writer who doesn't root for other writers. Of course, I have only rubbed shoulders with a few "best selling" authors (who were also generous and kind...) so my focus group is mostly beginners and what I would call "hobby writers" hoping to one day make it big. I've gotten to know so many authors, so many people in the same situation as me, and made some incredible friendships. I've also seen when an author signs a contract or posts a picture of them opening a box of books they wrote, the support is overwhelmingly positive.

If only more cultures would do that.

So, when I walk into a bookstore or library and see a friend's book on the shelf to buy or check out, it brings back those wonderful memories of sitting with them at conventions trying to sell books, of having dinner or just hanging out and talking about books and families and life and everything. Seeing those books brings a smile to my face. Of course, seeing your own book is amazing as well, but when you see someone else's book--someone you know--and you've talked to them, heard stories about that book and the trials and struggles it took to get that book made, it makes seeing it so much sweeter.

No comments:

Post a Comment