Monday, January 3, 2022

The Sunset Last Night Was...Breathtaking


Yesterday, I walked outside into a cold January evening and snapped a few pictures of the sky. I then returned outside a minute later as the sky above became alive with color. With sunsets, you never know what you're going to get...will the first tinges be all there is, or will it develop, grow, mature into something that takes your breath away?

Yesterday, it was the latter.

Last night I kept leaving the house to get more pictures as the colors deepened. Of course, you never know how they'll translate to a digital image until they're downloaded and manipulated (at least, a little...).

It's been a crap week for my family. We had planned to meet up, the three families and have Sunday dinner the day after New Years Day. We were to meet at my sisters. That dinner never took place, unfortunately. We did gather today, for an entirely different reason.

For the past almost fifty years, I watched the sunset from the end of a cul-de-sac. The hill and Farmington Bay provided the most amazing vantage point to see the brilliant colors. Where we now live, it's different. The entire sky seems to open up, and the sunsets encompass us. They surround us. I used to think where we lived before that the sunsets could not get any better. I no longer think that. I'm a convert to what's possible.

Last night was a gift. It was as if the sky knew things. It teased with some light colors on the eastern mountains which drew me outside, made me forget for a moment the week we'd had. Then, it rewarded me with more perspectives, more colors, more...hope. No, the day did not turn out how we planned, but what I saw in the sky was breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment