Saturday, September 8, 2012

Auditions And ACT Tests...


This morning my son took the ACT college entrance exam. This afternoon my daughter and I auditioned for a community theater production for this Christmas. As I waited for my son's test to begin, it occurred to me that we were both being tested...me for a specific show, my son for a potentially life-changing experience.


I drove my son to the local high school for him to take his test. I asked him if he was nervous and he said he was, a little. I believe him. I don't think he quite understands how much is riding on this test. I do know that my wife was much, much, much more nervous about the test than was my son. He'll get his results back in 3 to 8 weeks.


He was so calm. I told him as we waited that I can barely remember when I took the test (fitting, considering the result I got...). I asked him after he came home if there were many questions he didn't know. He said there were a few. He amazes me, I write with obvious bias.


My daughter and I have participated in several community productions over the years, but never at this theater. It's a beautiful new building in Centerville, Utah. I saw so many friends there while we waited for our turn to audition. As a parent, you're not only nervous for your own audition, but for your child's as well.


There were four of us invited into the audition, me, my daughter, and two brothers probably 5 or 6 years old. "Come in, we don't bite," the man who I believe is the director said to all of us. He could tell the two young boys were apprehensive, especially without their mother being by their side. The director said this as he and the other people on the panel were busy chowing down on their lunch. I found it funny.


I went first and I screwed up a couple of words. No matter how many times I practice a song, I always miss a couple of words--not on stage in a show do I screw up, but auditions are another story. My daughter did a wonderful job, once again, my bias is showing. We'll see what happens, with the show and with my son's (and our...) future.

No comments:

Post a Comment