Thursday, December 20, 2012

Larry Correia, An Opinion...


Today I came across a blog post from an author of fantasy novels, Larry Correia. I read one of his novels earlier this year. From the picture below you can imagine what Larry wrote about in his blog...guns. Today my co-worker and I had a brief discussion about guns (like probably millions of other people have done in the past week...). After we spoke, I wasn't looking for a blog post about guns, but I found it, and I read it.

I don't get too political on my blog. I figure there's enough people writing political blogs out there that my opinion is not really needed. The reason I'm writing about Larry's post is because it taught me something, and not what Mr. Correia might have intended.

What I learned in Larry's blog is that there's so much I don't know about the guns, gun control, and gun laws. And I thought I did. I grew up in the western United States. To put it simply, it's gun country. In my house growing up we had guns, shotguns, rifles, even hand guns. My father was a cop and even scored the first perfect shooting score in the history of the state of Idaho (he was given a gun as a prize...). My father passed away when I was young and we never discussed the issue, but I felt I understood what his position on the issue would have been.

I would consider Mr. Correia an expert on the subject about which he writes. He's put in time and earned the title. Of course many people don't agree with his opinion, but his knowledge shouldn't be dismissed just because it's unpopular. Would people who had an opposite opinion than that of Mr. Correia even read what he wrote? I think it would be helpful if he did. Of course, this is just my opinion. Whether or not I completely agree with him is not the point I'm trying to make. It's just that the society should be open enough to consider what he has to say.

Larry's post is rather long, but if you're interested in reading it, you can find it: HERE. If you read it, you may consider his point of view disgusting, insightful, or flat-out wrong. I thought it was educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment