Friday, December 28, 2012

The Inactive Ham...


We stopped by on a Sunday night to drop of a Christmas ham and to visit a bit. No one was home. We usually don't call and make appointments for a visit. The next day we tried again. My daughter and I were on our way to the theater so we stopped. This time, they were home.

I felt a little strange dropping off a holiday ham, and I wasn't exactly sure why. I mean, it's Christmastime, a time for giving to others--especially our friends and neighbors. He opened the door. We greeted and I asked how they had been. I then produced the ham from behind my back and said, "Merry Christmas." It's what he said that made me laugh.

"Oh! The Inactive Ham!" That was something I wasn't expecting to hear. But, with those few words, my friend made me realize why it felt a little strange to drop off the ham to his family. For those who live near me (and others who share my religion...), you know exactly what I'm talking about when I use the term, "inactive." I felt strange standing on his porch holding a holiday ham because I didn't want him to feel like we were giving the family food just because the term "inactive" applies.

But, he was right. I was glad to have shared. I just hope that the message of the gift was received in the manner for which it was intended...that they are a wonderful family and we care for them. I cannot speak for the entire group, but I can speak for myself. I do care about them and I hope they had a wonderful Christmas. Because of my friend, I don't think I'll ever see a holiday ham the same again.

No comments:

Post a Comment