Thursday, November 6, 2014

What The Heck Is That? It's Art...


"I wonder what they're doing on the street," my co-worker said. "Come see. They're installing something, and it's big."

I took a break and walked the short distance to the window where we looked down on Broadway from three stories above. Whatever it was they were putting up, it was big. The question for all of us was, what the heck was it?


"What is that?" we all asked as we looked at the big yellow circle with something in the middle. "I have no idea," I said. "I mean, what are those, Texas longhorns?"

"Maybe," someone else chimed in. "And are those monkey paws coming out the other side?"


"I have no idea." We all continued to look as workers put the final touches on Salt Lake's newest artistic endeavor.

"Wait!" someone said. "I know what it is!"

"What is it?" we all asked. We were told and we felt stupid when the truth came out.


There was no longhorns or monkey paws or really any mystery at all and the reason we couldn't see it because we were looking at it all wrong. We weren't seeing the other side of the art, the side where we saw a trapeze artist hanging upside down inside a large yellow ring.

Then after we all realized what it was, we realized something else...for as long as the art remained it would forever be mooning us on the third floor.

No comments:

Post a Comment