Saturday, September 19, 2015

Holli Anderson's "Out Of The Dark"...A Book Review

Out of the Dark (Five #1)*

I am so happy I can finally say I have read this book! And I'm happy for several reasons.

Over the past few years I have gotten to know several local authors. A few months back I blogged about each of them. I called them: POLAIK, Profiles Of Local Authors/Artists That I Know. Getting to know authors and artists is amazingly fun. Most are wonderful, creative people. The downside is that you want to read everything they've written or purchase everything they've created.

And I just don't have that kind of cash.

So when I go to conventions and see all those beautiful works of art, I sigh and hope to one day read their stuff. I'm happy to say after all this time I was able to read Holli Anderson's Out of the Dark

Holli told me a little about the story. Five teenagers find themselves able to do magical things. They can conjure blue light from their fingertips. This is the first sign they are unusual. Eventually the five teenagers meet and begin living as street kids in the subterranean world beneath the city of Seattle. I've heard how cool it is to see the city below the city. Holli's kids live there.

The kids decide they need use their powers for good so they find a local high school that is in need of help. Posing as students all but one of the group begin taking classes. It's evident from the very beginning that not all is as it seems at the school. As complicated as teen life is, the addition of one of them being bit and becoming a werewolf only adds to their crazy existence. They battle evil teachers who have created a hallucinatory drug they give to the students.

This is the first book of the series and it ends with the group--now with a mentor--traveling across the country as they're hunted by the forces of evil. I don't want to say more because I don't want to spoil the experience. But I should add that if you like romantic elements in your supernatural, demon and teenage story, you'll find it in Out of the Dark. Holli blends well tension, drama, romance, and the creepiness of pure evil, it's all there.

I'm glad I'm done with this one. Now, all I've got to do is read everything else she's written. I'm sure I will.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/18306322-out-of-the-dark

No comments:

Post a Comment