Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Thus Began My Work Day...


"Thanks you for calling the Technical Helpdesk. This is Liz. How may I help you?"

"Yes, Liz. I'm having an issue with my computer this morning."

"Hardware or software," Liz said and I wondered if she had a preference.

"Software," I said. "I can't get the E-REP program to open in Chrome. I get the error SSL server probably obsolete each time I try."

"Oh," Liz says and I hear the relief in her voice. "That's because you're supposed to use Internet Explorer for that program. It doesn't really work in Chrome."

Ugh, I thought.

"But it was working just fine yesterday. I've been using Chrome for that program for years."

"Well," says Liz. "It really works best in Explorer. When you open it in Chrome, not all the features work the way they're supposed to."

Pause.

"Um, if you want to, the work order is open. I can send someone down to look at your computer to see if they can get it working."

"No," I say dejected. I've lost the battle. First it was one program that didn't work in Chrome, then another, but the main program we use daily always worked. It was steady, reliable, an old friend. "I'll just use Explorer."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, Liz. Thanks for your help. Have a good day," I add, as if my words can somehow offer comfort to my annoyed soul.

"You too."

And that's how my work day began.

No comments:

Post a Comment