Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Riding In The Car With The Daughter...


We found out on Friday that my daughter and I were going to be doing another show together. You'd think that when we do shows together we'd be spending several hours with each other at each and every rehearsal, but it really hasn't turned out that way. Once we get to the theater we usually sit with different people, hang out with different people when we're not rehearsing and generally, we end up not being together that much.

But, there's always the car rides to and from. 

I did my first community theater show back in 2000. I thought it would be a cool thing to do with my oldest son. He was six at the time. We did that Christmas show and then we did the next Christmas show together. Thus began a tradition. He and I ended up doing several shows. Then my daughter wanted to do shows so eight years ago she and I (and my oldest son...) were in another Christmas show. She was six-years old. Since then it's been she and I.

Some people wonder why I do so many shows. It really takes up a LOT of time, time I could spend writing, or doing other stuff. But as I drove home tonight after meeting the cast and crew for the first time, I realized, when I do shows with my kids, I'm with them. We spend time together. We talk about stuff during the commutes. I have no idea how long I'll get to do shows, or how long my kids will want to even spend time with their old man. It could be all over very soon.

And if it is, I'll always be grateful for the time that we got to do something fun for ourselves and for others.

And I hope my kids will think the same thing, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment