Thursday, September 3, 2015

Terry Pratchett's "The Amazing Maurice And His Educated Rodents"...A Book Review

34534*

"You need to read more Pratchett," my friend has told me on more than one occasion. He's said that so much it's become a theme.

"I have read Pratchett," I've told him so much it's become a counter-theme. I admit, I've read Pratchett, but I'm by no means an expert. Many of my author friends love Pratchett. To be honest, he's a little intimidating. I mean, he's brilliant! And when I read his books, I wonder if I'm getting everything.

Today I finished The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents. I actually listened to it and there's something about hearing good dialogue that's pure joy. The narrator, Stephen Briggs was excellent portraying the various characters. If you're wondering what this book is about, it's on the cover. "The Pied Piper of . . . Discworld." That really says it all. From what I've read, it's Pratchett's first children's book set in that world.

Yes, it's a children's book, but it can be a tad gruesome. The story includes cats and rats. There's one instance where a cat must defend his past actions to the other rats when he ate a rat. Of course, it was before both species had the greater knowledge of reading and communicating.

I know there's a lot I missed with this one, and that's unfortunate. But, I did read it and that's important. Yes, my co-worker friend--I did read a Pratchett. And the next time one comes available, I won't be so intimidated.

* Photo used without permission from: https://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/34534.The_Amazing_Maurice_and_His_Educated_Rodents

No comments:

Post a Comment