Tuesday, December 22, 2015

A Review Of Reviews...And Avoiding Huge Ships

*

My friend at work reads the comments of internet articles.

I do not.

I've read them in the past, of course, but life is really too short to spend time reading comments posted on stories. If you read these comments, you know what I'm talking about. It's just not worth it.

Or so I thought...

Today my wife found a link posted by my niece, and it's fantastic! But it's not the book that's the best part, it's the book reviews. If you doubt me, check it out yourself: HERE.

Still not convinced? Here's an example:

6,465 of 6,822 people found the following review helpful
By Fitz on December 21, 2010
Format: Paperback
I bought How to Avoid Huge Ships as a companion to Captain Trimmer's other excellent 
titles: How to Avoid a Train, and How to Avoid the Empire State Building. These books 
are fast paced, well written and the hard won knowledge found in them is as inspirational 
as it is informational. After reading them I haven't been hit by anything bigger than 
a diesel bus. Thanks captain!

 This second version of the book, How to Avoid Huge Ships was published in 1993. This book has over 1,300 reviews and numerous comments for those reviews. I haven't read them all, but those I've read I found hilarious. It's a prime example of man's search for comedy in an insane world.

I noticed something as I was writing this blog. The book costs new $513.52. That means that if all those people who wrote reviews actually bought the book new, this would have generated $667,576 in sales. That's enough to buy, perhaps, a huge ship.

I still don't think this one site has changed my mind about reading the comments or reviews. I mean, I've lived for fifty years successfully avoiding huge ships and I never knew this book even existed until today. Then again, maybe I've just been extremely lucky.

* Photo used without permission from: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0870334336?ref_=cm_lmf_tit_14

No comments:

Post a Comment