Friday, January 1, 2016

Christmas Eve Vs New Years Eve...


Because I've been working for the same organization for almost two decades, I'm to the point where I get a lot of time off, and around the end of each year, it's a scramble for us to see which day we'll all have off. Some take the entire week between Christmas and New Years off. I don't know if I've ever done that.

But usually I have been able to take off either Christmas Eve or New Years Eve or both. This year, I worked both the days, and I didn't just work 1/2 days, I put in full-day shifts.

I've noticed some differences.


At the bus stop on Christmas Eve when I went to work, I was pretty much by myself. I think there were two of us who climbed aboard the Route 473 Express departing Farmington at 6:08am, and I think there were only six or seven people on the entire bus going into Salt Lake City. On New Years Eve morning this year there were many more cars in the parking lot and there were many twenty people on the bus.


A good rule of thumb--if there are few people on the bus, that translates to few people at work. There were fewer people working Christmas Eve than were working New Years Eve. In fact, it felt almost like a regular workday yesterday.

Working both Eves wasn't so bad. Both days were quiet and I was able to get a lot of work done. And I was able to have my own seat on the bus--both coming and going both days. But a quick check of 2016 tells me I'm going to have both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve off from work.

Because they're both on Saturdays this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment