Monday, January 25, 2016

The Kaysville 7-Eleven...No Mas


My wife and I were driving last weekend in a town that in many ways, fells like my hometown. I attended jr. high and high school in this town. I ran those streets with my friends. I cruised those same streets on weekends and it's just a great place to live.

I have many memories of Kaysville, Utah, and one of them has to do with the local 7-Eleven. The convenience store opened Homecoming weekend, 1980. I remember because I was a freshman (when you're in high school, the world revolves around high school and its students...) and before the Homecoming parade (my brother helped make one of the floats...), we all stopped in at the recently opened store. It was new and shiny. They even gave it precious real estate in the 1981, Vol. 67 Davis High School Yearbook.


But, as all material things are created, so must they end. We drove passed the store last weekend and it's boarded up. It's gone. Downtown Kaysville, in many ways, looks as it did decades ago, especially when you're driving by. But when you take a closer look, you'll see the changes, the new high school, the different businesses, the effects of time.

It's kind of like when you look at those of us who used to run and cruise the streets. From a distance, or when you're driving past, we kind of look the same. But, up close you can see the changes, the wrinkles and yes, some of us are no longer here.

No comments:

Post a Comment