Monday, March 14, 2016

Danyelle Leafty's "A Cloak Of Frost"...A Book Review

I finished Danyelle Leafty's A Cloak of Frost this afternoon. It's the second book of hers I've read and the first book in Leafty's Cloaks of Faerie series.

I should preface this by saying that this type of book is not one I would usually read. It's not because I have anything against this book in particular, it's just the genre. But, a good story is entertaining no matter the genre. Leafty's ability to spin words to create interesting characters and worlds and magic systems is on full display in this book. When you read one of Danyelle's books, guaranteed you'll be transported to a world of amazing and imaginative things.

Frost is a girl taken from her home by the North Wind, taken from her home and family. While away she learns how to use the magic she possesses, a magic that involves spinning stories. Leafty beautifully describes the process of how magic creates the words. I think that was my favorite part of the book.

Frost's adventures continues. She is sent on a quest to retrieve three objects, she confronts magical creatures and the story culminates with a battle. As I read this book I kept thinking of the fairytales we heard as children. It's got it all, magic, drama, the consequences of one's action. And it's a quick read. If you like fairytales, you'll love this book.

Yes, I've now read two Danyelle Leafty books. You know, I may just have to change my mind on reading this genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment