Monday, May 2, 2016

A Different East Wind Experience...


If you told me before I went to sleep last Saturday night that I would be making a trip to our garage in the middle of the night and end up atop a ladder almost thirty feet above our main floor, I probably wouldn't have believed you.

But that's exactly what happened.

Oh, and the power was out, too.

Many of my friends have commented on a big wind storm we had over the weekend. It did some damage, trees down, fences blown over, shingles missing. We've lived through these storms in the past and we went to bed hoping the damage would not be too severe. 

The power went out around 2:30am. No big dead--we're supposed to be asleep anyway. What we didn't expect and what we have not experienced before was our smoke alarm going off.


You might be thinking, "No big deal. Just take down the smoke alarm and you're done. Well, not so much for us. We have an A-Frame house and the alarm going off was at the very top of the ceiling. In order to reach the alarm, I had to go to the garage and haul up our 10' ladder. With my wife and I using the flashlight apps on our phones, we were able to get the ladder up two flights and get the smoke alarm to stop.

The power came back an hour later. I was able to sleep the rest of the night, but needing a ladder in the middle of the night was something new. I'm glad that's all it was. Some had a lot more physical permanent damage done to their stuff. I'll take a smoke alarm going off any day.

No comments:

Post a Comment