Saturday, May 7, 2016

A Grey-Colored Sky...


My father built a house that was ahead of its time. A lot of houses built in the 1960s and early 1970s had small windows. It makes a difference if you're dealing with glass that's not energy efficient. But my dad designed his house with these huge windows facing west. And since he built his house on a hillside, the view to the west was pretty spectacular.



We were fortunate enough to build on that same hillside. We have a wall of windows as well, but ours face southwest, not due west. You see, since my father never lived to see his house completed, he didn't get a chance to watch as technology improved upon building materials. His house, in the summer was so so hot, and freezing in the winter. Sure, the view was great, but it came at a price. Spring and fall were perfect. 


So I've grown up spoiled with our western view, and last night we were given a treat. We watched as a spring storm rolled in the valley and up to our house. It was beautiful. I know the pictures don't do it justice, but here's a little of what we saw.



This storm didn't cause as much damage as the one that blew in a few days previous. I know so many people who hate rain and stormy weather. I can understand their feeling, but I think they do themselves a disservice if they don't step back and look at just how beautiful it can be.





No comments:

Post a Comment